Summers in Australia are amazing.
Our weekends are full of barbecues at the beach, picnics in the park, and spending a lot of time laughing with friends over a meal and drink or two.
But being in a calorie deficit when your trying to lose weight can make going out to events difficult for many, especially when we know there’s going to be a lot of food to deal with.
Trying to lose weight or building a healthier lifestyle shouldn’t mean we have to choose between enjoyment or punishment, socialising or missing out, food or starvation.
So to help you avoid putting on that extra holiday weight, without feeling like your missing out, I’ve put together a list of my 5 Favourite Guilt-Free Aussie Summer Recipes.
Guilt-Free Recipe 4: WARM TURKEY & RICE SALAD
- 1kg turkey thigh roast
- 500g sweet potato, cut into 2cm cubes
- 200g brown rice (use microwavable rice to save time)
- 1/3 cup fresh cherries, pitted and quartered (use craisins as an alternative)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 large handfuls of spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced. Place turkey into a large roasting pan and arrange sweet potato around it. Roast for 30-45 mins until turkey is cooked through and sweet potato is tender.
- Step 2: Whilst the turkey and sweet potato is cooling, heat rice according to directions and place in a large bowl. Add cherries (or craisins) and lemon juice. Fold together until combined.
- Step 3: Chop turkey and add to the bowl along with sweet potato, almonds and spinach. Gently fold together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you enjoyed this post and would like more healthy recipes and fitness tips, join my free Facebook group Perth Women Wanting To Be Fitter, Happier And Healthier community.
Did you miss Guilt-Free Recipe 3: Pistachio-Crusted Salmon With Tzatziki Sauce of this series?